Democratic Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot in the Head, SurvivesAuthor: Jon Martin | Saturday, January 8th, 2011 |
Earlier today during a public speaking event, Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic congresswoman from Arizona, was shot in the head outside a grocery store. A spokesman for the Pima County sheriff says that at least 12 people were shot. The Tucson Citizen reports that Rep. Giffords was “shot point blank in the head.”
Rep. Giffords was first elected to the House in 2006. She represents the state’s 8th Congressional District. Although it is unclear at the moment, many are wondering whether the gunman was Tea Party supporter. If that turns out to be true, it could have big effects on the political landscape.
Things will not be the same on Monday when Congress goes back to work. This incident is a sobering reminder of just what risks people take when they decide to work in government. The right and the Tea Party might act like the government is nefarious.. but these are public servants that having a unique viewpoint and in most cases, want to do what they think is best for the country.
UPDATE: Giffords has made it through surgery and is responding to commands.For breaking updates, check the huffingtonpost.
- Rachel Maddow Explains Obama’s Drilling Moratorium and Why it’s getting Shot Down
- Rand Paul fan tries to Curbstomp Moveon.org Volunteer (Video)
- Emanuel: Barton Wasn’t Mistaken, Corporations over People is Republican Philosophy
- Top Conservatives Call for Pot Legalization
- Wikileaks Founder On Run from Pentagon